Moss is a plant species that grows really well in moist cool areas. There are many different species of moss. Some common characteristics among these species are that moss does not have flowers or seeds, they must have a damp environment to grow in because they do not have any root system to secure water, and they are usually extremely green with tiny leafs. Nationwide moss cleaning service will get rid of all moss.
What Promotes Moss Growth?
- A shady climate. The climate doesn’t need to be too shady but shade is optimal.
- Acidic environments. More specifically moss grows optimally at a pH level of 5.0 to 5.5.
- Moss grows well on hard surfaces. Our moss cleaning service is perform twice per year for the first year and once per year as a maintenance program
- Moss needs a moist/humid environment to grow.
Why is Moss on The Roof Bad?
- As the moss thickens and grows on an asphalt shingle roof it can
raise the shingles up (much like a jack under a car). When the shingles get risen it allows water to go under the shingles causing the decking to rot and causing the roof to leak. The raised shingles also pose problems when heavy winds are present because they will catch the wind like a sail and this can cause shingles to be torn/blown off the roof.
- A moss buildup on the roof causes more debris to get trapped on the roof. This debris promotes water buildup which makes the roof at risk of much more rotting and leaking.
- Moss can actually damage the asphalt shingle components leaving it to break down faster and our moss cleaning service will helo to eliminate these problem for any commercial or residention properety.